It’s official- Glossier is NOW AVAILABLE IN THE UK (cue trumpets, balloons, confetti cannons and CAKE, of course)
I’ve been counting down the days since it was announced earlier this year that the famous pink and white packaging would be finally available to those of us living in the United Kingdom and today is the day!
My sister made a trip to New York at the beginning of September after working for Camp America this summer and I gave her strict instructions to make a stop at the Glossier show room & pick me up some goodies so that by the time they came out here I’d have had a month to try them & give you the low down on what is, and what isn’t worth the spend! That said, this is one brand where I haven’t disliked anything I’ve tried, some products I love and can already see myself re-purchasing and others I like but am not head over heels for- just yet anyway!
So, what did I buy? Oh you know, just a few things…
Lets start with the things I love:
- Generation G Lipstick (in Cake): this has been a permanent fixture in my handbag since the day my sister touched down and I don’t see myself removing it any time soon. The colour is quite sheer but enough for it to look like you’ve got something on your lips and unlike most hydrating lip products it has a matte finish. Although it definitely isn’t as hydrating as a lip balm it’s much kinder on the lips than any other lipstick I’ve tried, both matte and non-matte and the sheer wash of colour means that it doesn’t cling to dry patches and accentuate them. Cake is billed as a peachy nude but on me it works more as a browny-nude, think along the lines of a very very sheer Velvet Teddy.
- Priming moisturiser: This is super super light so it sinks in fast & doesn’t leave you feeling like you’ve got something sat on your skin. I usually use it over a serum and under an oil and it works well with all the products I’ve tried- no balling up! It’s one of those products that does what it says on the tin and for that I’ll be forever grateful!
- Boy Brow (Blond): Very similar to Benefit’s Gimme Brow but without the crispyness. The small wand makes filling in brows so quick and easy and if you have any sparse spots you can use it end on to make sure they’re filled and it’s staying power is something else. I am currently using the shade blond but it is definitely too light, whilst the next shade up, brown, is too dark, I could really use an in between more taupe-y shade. I would say that in general Glossier has a very limited shade range, I put this down to it being a relatively new brand so hopefully they’ll continue to expand shade ranges as well as introducing new products. If they had a better shade match for me it would definitely be my absolute must have brow product however as is I’m using it in conjunction with a brown pencil to ensure my brows don’t look a little odd.
- Balm Dot Com (Mint): This was the first product I tried and it set the bar high. I’m very picky when it comes to lip balms and this one definitely makes the cut. Although it is a little pricey at £10 a little really goes a long way and I can’t see mine running out any time soon. It doesn’t make your lips feel like they have been covered in a gross film and it does a fab job of repairing any chapped/dry areas. As I got the mint flavour I haven’t tried it on any other body parts but I can imagine it would work fab anywhere, it’s not greasy and it walks an odd line of sinking in quite fast whilst feeling like it’s still there and working/protecting without sticking to EVERYTHING IN SIGHT. I wish it was a little cheaper so that I could buy allll the flavours but I imagine I’ll probably buy a trio in the near future so I can save a few £ and spare my conscience a small portion of guilt.
- Stretch Concealer (Light): SO light & SO hydrating, I’ve never come across a concealer like it before. It isn’t massively pigmented but I find if I’m wanting more coverage it works great under a thicker concealer and stops that from settling into fine lines so much. It melts into skin and is almost undetectable so great for the no make-up make-up days. Again, there could definitely be more shades but that’s a recurring theme we’ve already discussed.
& the products that I like but am still a little unsure of…
- Mega Greens Galaxy Pack: marketed as a green juice for the skin and it definitely feels detoxing- on first use it seemed like every spot I had lurking under the surface, even ones I didn’t know to expect, were brought out. I’m hoping that was the case anyway- rather than that I’ve not agreed with it and it’s irritated my skin; I’m currently using it right now for the second time in the hope that now they’ve been pulled to the surface the mask will quickly rid them. Once applied it is instantly cooling to the skin and this sensation lasts for the whole 20 minutes. Unlike other clay masks I’ve tried, the Mega Greens Galaxy Pack is silky to the touch, rather than chalky/papery, and seems to sink into the skin a fair bit by the time you take it off. It’s definitely not as calming as the product description would suggest but my skin did feel super clean afterwards! Overall I’m still investigating this one and will continue to use it until I’ve got a firm decision either way.
- The Supers: these I’m just really unsure of, I am quite fond of Super Bounce and definitely prefer it to The Ordinary’s Hyaluronic offering which feels like it is drying out my face rather than helping to keep it hydrated, however I think that my skin works better with Glycerin than H I have yet to see any results with both Super Pure and Super Glow. I also have The Ordinary’s equivalent to Super Pure and didn’t really see any results with that either, I used to use a prescription gel for my acne called Nicam which also contains Niacinamide so theoretically the serum should be making a difference as the gel used to work wonders so hopefully it’s just a bit of a waiting game and with prolonged use Super Pure will start to yield visible results, I’m sure I’ll let you know if it does!
- Milky Jelly Cleanser: with this one I honestly think it’s a case of I’ve not used it enough to be ride or die! I’m so besotted with my Caroline Hirons x Pixi double cleanse that not much else is getting a look in but I think that speaks enough in itself. Skincare products do tend to take a while for me to warm to, which is perhaps why I’m firmly in love with more of the make-up offerings but I really do not like the smell of the Milky Jelly Cleanser and it’s not really any good at removing make-up, although I knew that before I bought it. I do still like it though and have been using it on a morning when my face feels a little too oily for my normal hot water & flannel duo and have also used it on days when I haven’t worn make-up and it does a really good job of cleansing without leaving your skin feeling stripped or tight. I love the pump bottle, it’s much more hygienic than the CH x Pixi tub which I’m constantly putting my fingers in and at £15 it is one of their most pocket friendly products in terms of value for money plus it contains glycerin which is an ingredient my skin LOVES.
If you already have pretty good skin, love a no make-up make-up look or anything that’s low maintenance then I imagine Glossier is going to be your new favourite brand! If you don’t quite fit into any of these brackets- which I certainly don’t- you’ll likely still love it as an addition to what you already use!
If you’ve not quite reached your threshold for millennial pink cosmetics stay tuned because I placed a quite sizeable order on Asos over the weekend and it consisted solely of their own brand make-up and it’s due to be delivered TODAY so I’ll be sharing my opinions ASAP!
Have you tried Glossier? or Asos Make-up? or do you have another very aesthetically pleasing cosmetics brand to recommend? I’d love to know your thoughts! Lixir is next on my list!
I noticed this morning that a couple of youtubers/influencers/all around amazing women were offering 10% off Glossier via their Instagram stories, I saw ‘swipe up’s on @kate.lavie, @theannaedit & @hellooctober and I’m sure there are more out there, so if you are planning on placing an order check that out for a little bit of discount! The prices do seem a little heftier now that they’re in £ rather than $ but I’m sure what I’ve got will last me a good while & I’m still tempted to order some cloud paints & the moisturising moon mask!
Let me know if you do get anything!