I bought this super cute ceramic muffin tray last week- if was half price, I couldn’t not?!- so had to come up with a bake to use it ASAP and with Wimbledon in full swing what could be more fitting than strawberries & cream, in cupcake form?
Talking of which, does anyone know why strawberries and cream and Wimbledon are so synonymous with one another? I assume it’s because they’re served there but that doesn’t seem like quite enough for such a strong link?
Anyway, onto the recipe…
- 175g Butter (Room Temperature)
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 175g Self-Raising Flour
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- 3 Eggs
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 225g Strawberries
- 175g Butter
- 350g Icing Sugar
- 2tbsp Double Cream
- 8 Strawberries, halved
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/160°C Fan, and line two muffin trays with 15 cupcake cases (or if using just 1 tray you can put the final 3 cupcakes in a second batch)
- Add the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, vanilla extract and eggs to a large mixing bowl and mix with an electric whisk until fully combined (if you don’t have an electric whisk cream the butter and sugar together first, then add in the eggs and vanilla extract and combine and finally add the flour and baking powder and mix thoroughly)
- Cut the top off the strawberries and then dice them into small pieces before adding to the cake batter and mixing to distribute the strawberries evenly
- Fill each cupcake case ⅔ full and then pop into the over for around 20/25 minutes, pressing on the top of the cupcake to see if it springs back when fully cooked
- Once out of the oven place the cupcakes on a cooling rack and put in the second batch if necessary
- Add the butter to a mixing bowl and beat with an electric whisk for around 5 minutes until it has become much lighter in colour
- Add the icing sugar, a little at a time, and beat on high to fully incorporate
- Finally, add the double cream and again beat on high until everything is combined
- Add the icing to a piping bag, or spoon onto the cooled cupcakes and then top them with half a strawberry!
Due to the fresh cream and the strawberry on top I would advise they were kept in the fridge, especially whilst we’re going through these heatwaves, although they’re best eaten at room temp so be sure to remove them a few hours before serving! Also, if you’re making ahead it might be a good idea to add the strawberry at a later date just before serving so that it’s at it’s absolute best!
Although inspired by Wimbledon these tasty cupcakes aren’t only good for the two weeks the tourna! They are the perfect accompaniment to all your summer barbecues, picnics and whatever else you’re getting up to, they certainly look the part!
What’re your favourite summer bakes? I’m loving experimenting with fresh fruit at the minute and would love some ideas if you have any!