On my quest to go dairy free, and to battle my addiction to all things chocolate, I have become rather fond of Nakd bars- or Larabars if you’re in the US. My favourite just so happens to be the most simple of them- Cashew Cookie, comprising of only cashew nuts and dates AND like a gift from the gods, the percentages of each is printed on the back of each bar- so it would have been rude for me not to give making them a go, right?
They’re obviously nothing like chocolate, but they satisfy the craving for something sweet I tend to get after a meal. By no means do I eat them daily though- they might be healthIER but they’re still not exactly good for you! They also make the perfect mid-afternoon pick me up when all you wanna do is nap but that’s not possible…
- 306g Cashew Nuts
- 296g Medjool Dates, Pitted
- Line a loaf tin, or whatever tin you fancy using, with cling film (I prefer a loaf tin as then both ends are rounded and it makes the bars more uniform but it’s not a necessity!)
- Add the Cashews to a food processor and blitz until they resemble a fine powder
- Add the Dates to the food processor and turn the food processor back on until the mixture combines- it wont look like the texture of nakd bars at this point but once you press it together it will!
- Turn out the mixture into the loaf tin and press down firmly until level- smoothing off with a spatula! You get about one and a half tins, I generally roll the remaining mixture after filling the tin once into balls for a smaller treat or you could just do two batches!
- Cover the top of the bars in cling film and pop into the fridge for around 30 minutes/ 1 hour- until firm then remove from the fridge and cut up into bars!
It really couldn’t be any more simple- once you’ve got a food processor the world is basically your oyster, or so I like to think!
These are SO much cheaper than buying the bars and can be kept for a couple of weeks or so in an airtight container in the fridge- if you can keep them around that long!
If you give these a go, or have any other things you’d like me to re-create so that you can make them at home then let me know! It’s always great when you can make your favourite store bought treat at home, whenever you fancy, for a fraction of the price.
Pin me for later…