The blue skies in London of late have got me craving summer like nothing else, it’s such a shame that you still freeze as soon as you step outside!
Anyhow, it’s definitely given me a boost, and its got me craving lemon bakes. Seen as we aren’t quite at drizzle weather yet, I definitely still need the comfort of an inch of icing, I have mastered the Lemon Curd Cupcake! I hope you enjoy them as much as I have (Sorry, no lent diet going on over here).
- 200g butter
- 250g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 lemons (zest)
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100ml milk
Lemon curd filling
- 2 lemons (zest and juice)
- 100g caster sugar
- 50g butter
- 1 large egg and one egg yolk
- 150g butter
- 300g icing sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan and line a muffin tin with cupcake cases
- For the LEMON CURD, add the sugar, zest, juice and butter to a heatproof bowl and gently heat over a double boiler until the butter has melted, then lightly whisk the egg and egg yolk and add them to the bowl, continuing to whisk until everything is combined, then leave to cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool, stirring every now and then.
- For the CUPCAKE, add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk with an electric mixer until combined, then divide equally between the cupcake cases then put into the oven at 180 for around 15 minutes, until they are springy to the touch, the set aside to cool
- For the ICING, whisk the butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, then add the icing sugar a bit at a time, finally add the lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon juice and mix
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, cut out a circle from the middle of each cake and add a spoonful of lemon curd, then replace to top and pipe over the lemon icing (& repeat until alllll your cupcakes are iced!)
Please let me know if you give these a go, I’d love to hear what you thought! They’d make a pretty tasty Mother’s Day treat if I do say so myself!